The Milky Way photography workshops in Switzerland will take place in one of the many beautiful locations that are offered in this country. Most of these locations are a bit remote and need some hiking in order to be reached. Besides, some of these locations are not close to a hut and camping outdoors might be necessary. Several parameters such as the Milky Way Core season, the moon phase, the forecast, the cloudiness need to be taken into account to choose the right spot at the right time. Obviously, some of those parameters change quickly and we will need to adjust our itinerary accordingly. Therefore, the final location as well as the potential availability of a hut will be decided a few days before the event. You should expect 1 to 2 hours of hiking before reaching the final spot but we will try to adjust to participant preferences.
Milky Way Core season starts in March in the Northern Hemisphere and last till October. In the first months of the season, the Milky Way will be flatter and the core visible before dawn. During the next months, you will be able to see the Milky Way Core the entire night, rising around South-East and setting around South-West. Towards the end of the season, it appears more vertical and it is mostly visible after dusk.
Workshops will start around May/June in order to avoid light-polluted locations caused by leftover snow. During May to July, Milky Way arch panoramic photography will be possible as it sits flatter to the horizon. Besides, there are other interesting events that can happen during the season (Perseid meteor shower in August, Neowise Comet in Summer 2020, etc)
This workshop will not cover the basics of photography. Each participant needs to bring and to know its equipment and be confident outside of the AUTO mode. We will however go over various techniques such as Panorama, Focus Stacking (if applicable), Long Exposure, Foreground blending, Noise Reduction, Scouting and Composition.
What will you get out of it?
- Nice refreshing time in the Swiss Alps with a mixture of hiking, astrophotography and sharing time with other photographers
- Lift ride from meeting point (if applicable)
- One night in a dorm (if applicable) or camping
- Theory of Milky Way photography (Done virtually prior to workshop – Milky Way Core season/Components of an Image, Equipment, Settings, Processing)
- Learn how to shoot night pictures and specifically the Milky Way. Learn how to reduce noise
- Learn how to better compose your shots and get feedback on your picture
- Post-processing tips for Milky Way photography (Done virtually after the workshop)
- My Lightroom presets for milky way photography
What is not included?
- All food and drinks
- Photography equipment
- Camping equipment (if applicable)
- Transportation to and from workshop location
Meeting point: To be decided few days before the workshop when final location is chosen. You should however expect a public transport bus stop or train station. We will meet early enough in the afternoon to have enough time to hike to the final location and arrive before sunset.
After reaching out to our location, we will set up the tent or check in the dorms. Then we will start our shooting adventure:
- Blue hour to capture foreground
- Milky Way
- Time lapse or star trails (rest of the night)
After sunrise, we will pack our stuff and head back to the starting point.
Things to Know
Price per Person
- CHF 250 / Camping – Bring your own camping equipment
- CHF 320 / Dorm occupancy in Hut
- 10% Reduction for a group of two or more people
Deposit of CHF 100 to secure your spot
Maximum Participants per workshop: 6 persons
Dates: From May/June to October 2022 (around new moon phases)
If, for any reason, you cannot participate in the workshop, please send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- More than 7 days before the workshop: You can transfer your deposit for a future workshop with me
- < 7 days before the workshop: No refund
- In case of bad weather conditions, we will change location or the workshop might be postponed to a later date
- If weather changes and does not allow us to shoot during the workshop, no refund given as I cannot predict it
Workshop 1-Night Milky Way PhotographyCHF 100.00