This 5-lakes trail is a wonderful 10 km easy hike along five different lakes, with three of them aligned with a reflection of the Matterhorn. During one of these landscape and milky way photography workshop in Switzerland, we will spend most time with two of those lakes (Stellisee, Grindjisee) as they give many composition opportunities. Besides, if weather permits, we will shoot the Milky Way in South-West orientation (vertically). This easy trail is located in the highlands of Zermatt and we will spend two nights in a very nice mountain hut (Fluhalp) at 2620m.
This workshop will not cover the basics of photography. Each participant needs to know its equipment and be confident outside of the AUTO mode. We will however go over various techniques such as Panorama, Focus Stacking, Long Exposure, Noise Reduction, Scouting and Composition.
Meeting point: Zermatt Train Station 3pm
We will walk down from Zermatt Main Station to Sunnega Station and take the train and the lift up to Blauherd. We will then walk 1 hour to Fluhalp Mountain Hut where we will spend the next two nights.
We will take our rooms and have dinner around 6pm. Let’s have a welcome drink before dinner.
After dinner, we will walk down to Stellisee for the sunset (20 minutes walk) and prepare foreground images for Milky Way shooting. After sunset, we will go back to Fluhalp, go over some theory and rest until Milky Way time.
Later, we will head back down to Stellisee and set up our material. The Milky Way will be vertical with the Core on the left of Matterhorn and nice reflection on the lake.
For the ones who want to stay out all night, the Milky Way Core will set below the horizon but we can still shoot the Great Rift straight above the Matterhorn. Of course, Milky Way photography is weather-dependent.
We will get up and walk down to Stellisee to shoot sunrise before heading back to Fluhalp for breakfast.
We will walk the 5-lakes trail (10 km) during the day and stop in the most iconic photography spots.
When back to Fluhalp in the afternoon, we will go over some post-processing, rest and have dinner around 7pm.
Around 1am at night, if weather allows, we will do another Milky Way shooting at Grindjisee (1-hour walk) and wait until the sunrise before heading back to Fluhalp for breakfast.
If we did not go out during the night, we will get up early, walk down to Grindjisee (1-hour walk) before the sunrise, and shoot until breakfast time.
After breakfast, we will check out and head back to Blauherd to take the lift/train down to Zermatt.
What will you get out of it?
- Nice refreshing time in the Swiss Alps with a mixture of hiking, photography and sharing time with other photographers
- Lift ride from Zermatt to Blauherd
- Two nights in Fluhalp Mountain Hut with half-board and wonderful panoramic view over the Matterhorn
- Hopefully not too much sleep if weather permits: Learn how to shoot night pictures and specifically the Milky Way and learn how to reduce noise
- Learn how to better compose your shots and get feedback on your pictures
- Theory of Landscape and Milky Way photography
- Post-processing tips for Landscape and Milky Way photography
- My Lightroom presets for landscape and milky way photography
What is not included?
- Snacks and lunches (Breakfasts and Dinners are included)
- All drinks
- Photography equipment
- Bring your own towel and some Swiss coins for optional shower
- Transport to Zermatt Train Station (Meet-up point)
Things to Know
Price per Person
- CHF 890 / Double occupancy
- CHF 1390 / Single occupancy (very limited places)
- CHF 840 / Dorm occupancy
- 10% Reduction for a group of two or more people
Deposit of CHF 300 to secure your spot
Workshop needs to be paid in full until 1 month before the workshop
Maximum Participants per weekend: 6 persons
Dates: August 26th to 28th 2022 / September 2nd to 4th 2022
If, for any reason, you cannot participate in the workshop, please send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- More than 90 days before the workshop: Full refund of your deposit minus 5% to cover bank transfer fees
- 89 days to 31 days before the workshop: Refund of 50% of the deposit and 50% is retained to cover additional fees
- < 31 days before the workshop: No deposit refund. The rest (full price minus deposit) is retained as voucher for a future workshop
- If canceled due to bad weather conditions: No deposit refund as I cannot predict it and I need to cover the costs already involved . The rest (full price minus deposit) is refunded